Search

Why Music Is The Worst Hobby Ever!


As a music teacher, with more than 30 years of experience, I'm going to tell you why I think music is one of the worst hobbies of all time.



Most people that sign up for lessons say that they want a nice hobby for themselves or their children. Next, when people elevate beyond a hobby and turn into pro-musicians that dedicate their lives to it, they describe their relationship with music as love. I don't see either of those things

happening from a behavioural standpoint. It looks very different to me which I'm going to explain.


For me, music is awesome and it's the lifeblood of everything that I do. It's the only thing in life that I've ever wanted to talk about, think about, or do. But do I love it? I don't think so.


What Is A Hobby


If we think about what makes a really good hobby, people usually describe activities as "relaxing" or that they "get into the zone and lose track of time," which does happen for lots of musicians. They also say it "recharges their psychological batteries". People do this with stamp collecting, coin collecting, comic book collecting, fantasy football, and many other activities. The difference between those activities and music is that, for example, if you're collecting comics you can, go to the comic store and buy anything you love. You can buy a stamp collecting hobby but you cannot buy the skill of playing music. You have to work for it. There's no way around it.


What People Say When They Sign Up For Music Lessons


When people sign up for lessons they often say "I just want to be able to play a few songs so that I can enjoy playing music". I let them know that I've never heard of a client coming in to tell me that they sit down, strum a few chords on a guitar, and then sit back listening to themselves and think "that just sounds wonderful". People just don't do that.


What Is Practising Music


Most people's relationship with music from the hobby level to the pro musician level is more like somebody that's in troubleshooting mode. A beginner will be saying to themselves "I wish I could change between a C and an F chord and get it clean". A pro musician is going be looking for the next killer idea, trying to play solos that are more technically difficult or play solos that sound sweeter in some way. That is what 98% of playing is. Practicing is troubleshooting that is spent, in a level of frustration, to get the 2%, which is the celebration when you finally get it. To me that 2% is totally worth it, and it fully sustains me through the other 98%. If you're looking for a nice "sweet little hobby", it's not music. This is more like a grind.


The Worst Sales Pitch Of All Time


To me, music is highly effective as a self-improvement and character-building tool. It's more like going to the gym than collecting stamps. When you're learning music it shows you what your character is made of. When you're first starting off it can feel not humanly possible, even when you've seen other humans do it. When you take something that feels "not humanly possible" and you learn that skill, it builds character and gives you confidence when you start to find other things in life that feel not possible.


Where Music Shines


To me, music is highly effective